create.it: beautiful vellum diy light fixture..

From the 3 R’s blog {reduce, reuse, redecorate!}:

My inspiration and guide was this light from Design*Sponge, that I spotted on Pinterest. I really liked the idea, and I had a roll of white vellum lying around left over from college that I thought would look beautiful.  So I started cutting triangles.  And then I started glueing.  And cutting more and glueing more.  And it was at about the third round of this cycle that I realized, this light was going to take longer than I had anticipated.  But honestly, all the work was worth it in the end because I love it!

The roll of vellum that I was using was 24 inches long.  I would unroll a manageable size piece maybe 12 inches or so wide, and cut it off the roll.  I cut off two pieces roughly the same size and then cut those down to be 9 inches long.  Of course if I had just decided to use an 8 inch long triangle, then I could have gotten three pieces out of my 24 inch length instead of just two, but I was tired when I first started this project and I missed that point.  But anyway, I then had a bunch of pieces of vellum that were a roughly random width, and all 9 inches long (or tall, however you think about it.)  The top and bottom edge of my pieces were the curled sides, so if I had let all my pieces curl back up they would all be cylinders exactly 9 inches tall.  The reason I’m obsessing about this detail is because once I cut my triangles (3 inches wide at the top, the full 9 inches long) the curl was side to side along the 3 inch edge, and wasn’t down along the length of the triangle.  I think this really helped give each piece strength, and was one of the reasons they stuck straight out from the lantern.  Its just a theory, but I think cutting the pieces in this direction is certainly better than having each long triangle be all curly.

I think I glued the pieces on much closer than they did in the Design*Sponge tutorial, but I wanted a really full look.  I’d say each new row was approximately 1/2 inch above the layer below, starting at the bottom and working upwards.  I would usually leave a bit of space between each piece, but I wasn’t super exact.  I did make sure to off center each new row so that the spaces between each piece were covered with the overlap, though eventually each piece was covered by so many compiled rows it didn’t really matter.  Honestly, there wasn’t a lot of room for error, and while it was a lot of work, it was also a pretty fool proof concept!

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-Spam by WP-SpamShield

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.