Makes about 2 cups
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a saucepan, slowly bring the heavy cream to a low simmer (the temperature should climax at 180° F and the goal is to try to keep it around there).
- Let simmer at 180° F for about 3 minutes then add in the lemon juice.
- Simmer for another 3 minutes, then remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Fill a small strainer with several layers of cheesecloth (I use three) and put a small bowl under the strainer.
- Pour the cooled mascarpone mixture into the cheesecloth and stick the entire bowl in the fridge overnight (mine only strained a few tablespoons of whey, but the mascarpone came out thick and creamy in the morning).