always looking for the perfect chicken recipe..
- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-pound) chicken
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, halved
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon ground hot Hungarian paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse chicken, pat dry, and remove any excess fat. Generously sprinkle chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Place onion and rosemary inside cavity; rub skin with paprika.
- Lay a standard-side brown paper grocery bag on its side; place chicken inside bag and tie bag with kitchen twine to enclose. Place bagged chicken on a rimmed baking sheet; transfer to lower third of oven, making sure there is plenty of room between the bag and the top of the oven. Roast chicken for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from oven and carefully open bag to release steam. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh should reach 165 degrees and juices should run clear when thigh is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving; serve warm.
recipe: sara foster’s southern kitchen (marthastewart.com)