one of my favorite tonics for the winter months..
- Slice lemon thinly, remove seeds.
- Cut a one inch piece of fresh ginger root into several small slices.
- Pour a small bit of honey in the bottom of a jar.
- Add a lemon slice, then one or two chunks of ginger.
- Pour a layer of honey to cover then add more lemon and ginger.
- Repeat layers until you near the top of the jar. Finish off with a thick layer of honey.
- Cap with a plastic top (or layer of plastic wrap between metal lid and jar) to prevent corrosion.
directions for use:
- Take by the spoonful as needed for sore throats, coughs, colds and flu symptoms.
- You can also stir into hot tea, water, or lemonade.
- Store in your refrigerator for around a month. For longer preservation, stir in 3 to 4 tablespoons vodka or brandy per cup of syrup.
- Honey should never be given to children under 1 year old.
- If you are on blood thinners, pregnant, nursing or have other concerns – do not use without consulting a doctor first.
source: the nerdy farm wife