White paper from 24/7 Recruitment + Talent Agency..
If you’re a designer, you know a visual of your work is worth more than a thousand words on a resumé. If you haven’t done so already, run – don’t walk — to your closest laptop and start an online portfolio immediately. Or if you already have one, consider creating profiles on multiple sites.
An unscientific poll of hiring managers and recruiters indicates that online portfolio sites are critical to the hiring process. A more scientific study of hiring executives (early results from 24 Seven’s 2013 Salary & Job Market Study) indicate that almost 2/3 are planning to use more freelancers this year – will they be able to find you online? Whether you are just launching your career,
starting a new job search, or considering freelancing or moonlighting for the first time, an online portfolio:
– Helps you to optimally position your own professional brand by displaying your best work (often with your written commentary
about the project’s design process)
– Showcases your experience and range through project examples across industries and mediums
– Raises your visibility and searchability –the more sites you join, the better!
– Offers a fast, convenient and low cost way (in some cases free) to keep your portfolio current
– Easy to share links keep you competitive in today’s hyper-speedy tech-enabled world –just forward links in emails or include them on your resumé (which is digital too, right?)
Tripwire also has a listing of the 20 best portfolio websites that you can check out here..