THE FRESH MILK INTERNATIONAL RESIDENCY OPPORTUNITY
FRESH MILK has the capacity to accommodate two artists at the same time. Each artist will have their own bedroom and will share a kitchen, general living area and bathroom. Residents have the space to write and make small works in their living space and also have use of the nearby Milking Parlour Studio which is located seven minutes walk away from the residence. Access to the public transportation system is a ten to fifteen minute walk away. Weekly car trips to the supermarket are available on request.
The Milking Parlour Studio is beautifully situated under a grove of mahogany trees in the middle of a hundred acre farm, and as such has the capacity to accommodate artists working outdoors on temporary site specific works. The studio is linked to Fresh Milk’s director’s home which she shares with her two children.
Residencies will be scheduled to take place between the months of:
February – May, and September – November yearly.
FRESH MILK will provide:
- Wireless internet access
- A 15.5 x 14 ft studio space (maximum capacity 2)
- A wide expanse of rural land
- Access to the Colleen Lewis Reading Room on site
- A varied network of dynamic creatives to connect with
- Accommodation & Studio: Prendoma – $1,000.00 US a month per person; 7 minutes walk from the Milking Parlour Studio
- Artists are responsible for their airfare, travel and living costs. Fresh Milk does not offer funding to international artists.
- Upon acceptance, a 50% deposit of the residency fee is required in advance of arrival to hold the residency slot
- Number of bedrooms in residence: 2
- Residents will have their own room, but must be prepared to share the house with either male or female artists
- Linens and towels provided
- Laundry facilities available at the accommodation
- Residents must provide their own toiletries
- Suggested food allowance: $150.00 US per week
- Local bus fare: $1.00 US
- Car rental: Approximately $350.00 US per week
- Medical insurance advised
– FRESH MILK will lend support where possible, but resident artists must bring their own materials/tools and be prepared to function independently.
– There are dogs at the Milking Parlour studio and surrounding houses, and cats at the Prendoma residence. They are friendly and not dangerous.
– This is a tropical environment – be prepared to come across insects and animals you may not be familiar with. At some times during the year there are mosquitoes, please bring your repellent.
– Please be considerate of other residents and tidy up after you have used the common spaces, and refrain from causing any loud noises in the house after 10pm.
– At the end of the residency, please leave the space clean and remove all remaining consumables or artist materials from your room, the kitchen and bathroom.
For additional information about the residency and Barbados in general, please view the The Fresh Milk Residency A-Z Guide.
To be considered, interested artists must submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- The completed Fresh Milk Residency Application Form which can be downloaded by clicking the link (includes: applicant’s contact information (home address, telephone numbers, email address, skype name), website address, an artist statement, and full residency proposal)
- An up to date résumé
- A numbered portfolio of 5-10 images/writing samples (or 2-3 short videos as the case may be) of recent work
- An index of the portfolio pieces in numerical order, with the title, medium and date listed
- Two references – (one character and one professional) including names of referees, relationship to applicant, address, telephone number, website if applicable, email and skype contact information of referees
As part of the application process, a Skype interview is required.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.