- 1 small watermelon, peeled and cubed (to yield about 6 cups watermelon cubes)
- juice of 2 small limes
- 2 tbsp agave nectar (optional)
- 1 750ml bottle dry sparkling wine, chilled
- Purée the watermelon cubes in a blender or food processor until smooth. Strain the watermelon using a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Add the lime juice and, if desired, the agave nectar.
- Mix the watermelon agua fresca with the champagne. Start with roughly equal parts of agua fresca to champagne, then tweak to your taste.
This is also great as a granita or a slushie — freeze the mimosa in a baking pan for a couple of hours, then scrape up the ice crystals that have formed along the sides and top layer with a fork. Return to the freezer for another few hours, scrape, and repeat, until all of the mimosa is frozen and fluffy.